Submersible Turbine Pumps
Higher Flow Rates
The MagVFC™ variable speed controller ramps the STP up and down as needed to provide optimal flow rates at fueling points. The result is a more consistent customer experience.
- Faster, more consistent flow rates than fixed speed systems for higher throughput at virtually the same total cost of ownership.
- Ramping up and down of pressure makes nozzles easier to squeeze and helps reduce overall system wear.
Efficient Energy Consumption
Because a variable speed system is constantly providing only the necessary power to achieve desired flow rates, the system only consumes as much energy as is needed.
- Energy savings during non-peak business hours and increased flow during peak hours.
- Potential for reduced energy costs without sacrificing a faster customer fueling experience and without a transducer or special wiring.
Meet Your Flow Rate Needs
A variable speed STP can be adjusted at installation to perform at a maximum per-nozzle flow rate of 10 gpm (38 lpm) based on your piping and dispensing system.
- Depending on peak business requirements, choose from either 2 Hp of 4 Hp models to meet your needs.
- 2 Hp STPs provide constant 10 gpm (38 lpm) for up to eight fueling positions operating simultaneously.
- 4 Hp STPs provide constant 10 gpm (38 lpm) for up to 12 fueling positions operating simultaneously.
Minimize Hydraulic Hammer
Hydraulic hammer is a sudden pressure spike resulting from a stoppage in flow in a pressurized piping system. This can be exaggerated in fixed speed systems.
- A variable speed STP will ramp up and down to provide only the pressure needed to meet demand and significantly minimize the effects of hydraulic hammer.
- Hydraulic hammer may result in system fatigue and intensified wear to system components.
MagVFC™ Variable Frequency Controller
Variable speed pumps are controlled by the MagVFC™ variable frequency controller which provides control for both 2 Hp and 4 Hp variable speed STPs.
- Faster fill times during peak hours and power savings during non-peak hours.
- Control is determined through the PMA power consumption, eliminating the need for a transducer or special wiring.
- Setup selections include 2 Hp or 4 Hp, MLD or PLLD, gas or diesel, and Master-Slave, alternating circuit manifolded pump control options.
- Capable of networking with INCON™ fuel management systems for enhanced pump control capabilities.
- Variable speed models are available in variable lengths only.
- Check valve: 2¾" diameter fluorocarbon seal constructed with cast aluminum body and steel backing washer.
- Pressure relief valve: available in four pressure relief settings, integral to check valve. Standard model relieves at 40 psi and resets above 35 psi.
- Syphon: venturi-type syphon primer supplied with every submersible. Syphon check valve and secondary syphon sold separately.
- Air eliminator: every submersible includes a tank return path with one-way check valve to provide active air elimination.
- Electrical disconnect: electrical yoke for positive contractor disconnect during service.
- 2 Hp or 4 Hp, variable speed, two-stage centrifugal type pump motor with integral, automatic, thermal overload protection.
- Max. flow: VS2 = 110 gpm, VS4 = 140 gpm.
- Max. pressure: selectable operating pressure on MagVFC™ between 24 psi and 42 psi deadhead.
- Available with MagShell™ which results in 45% increased flow area around motor.
- cULus listed.
- Consult factory for applicable approvals.
- Variable speed pumps can only be controlled by a MagVFC™ variable frequency controller:
- VS2 models can operate with single- or three-phase incoming power supply to the MagVFC™.
- VS4 models require three-phase incoming power supply to the MagVFC™ for proper operation.
- Incoming power supply to the MagVFC™ can be 200-250 VAC, 50 or 60 Hz.
- MagVFC™ outputs a three-phase, variable frequency signal, valid for FE Petro™ variable speed pumps only.
- VS2 max. motor draw: 9 Amps.
- MagVFC™ max. line draw: 20 Amps.
- Max. liquid viscosity: 70 SSU at 60 °F (15 °C).
- STP variable speed models are UL and cUL listed for fuel mixtures containing up to 10% ethanol, and 20% MTBE, 20% ETBE or 17% TAME with gasoline.
- IST variable speed models are UL and cUL listed for fuel mixtures containing diesel fuel with up to 20% biodiesel, 100% biodiesel, up to 85% ethanol with gasoline, and 20% MTBE, 20% ETBE or 17% TAME with gasoline.
- All variable speed (non-AG) models can also be used withdiesel fuels, fuel oils, kerosene, Avgas and jet fuels in a non-gelled pourable state.
- All wetted elastomers are made of a high grade, fluorocarbon compound.
- Franklin Fueling Systems is an ISO 9001Certified Manufacturer.
Use this diagram below along with the Ordering Guide to help you build your variable speed submersible turbine pump.
A typical turbine model designation has up to five components to define the pump being supplied as follows:
XXX YYYYY Z - A - B
- XXX = Basic Model Designation
- STP = These standard variable speed and variable length models are capable of up to 10% ethanol with gasoline
- IST** = These variable speed and variable length models include alcohol-gasoline compatibility (up to 85% ethanol, up to 20% biodiesel, or 100% biodiesel).
- YYYYY = Factory Installed Options
- Model designations may include one or more of the following characters in alphabetical order:
- F = Floating suction adapter (1½" NPT female adapter)
- K = Intake filter screen (IFS, factory installed to PMA)
- M = MagShell™ (flow enhancing, expanded PMA shell)
- R* = Model R check valve (24 psi relief/22 psi reset for PLLD)
- W* = Model W check valve (16 psi relief/13 psi reset for PPM4000)
- Z = Pump Motor Horsepower Rating
- VS2** = 2 Hp variable speed
- VS4 = 4 Hp variable speed
- A = Model Length (see table below)
- VL1 = STP variable length range #1
- VL2 = STP variable length range #2
- VL3 = STP variable length range #3
- B = Riser Pipe Length (see diagram above)
- Riser pipe length is expressed as two numeric characters that indicate the total length of the riser in inches. Riser pipes are available from 7" to 69" in 1" increments (additional charge for risers 31" or longer).
STP Horsepower Model Length Range Model Length Designation 2 Hp 59"-87" VL1 90"-151" VL2 122"-213" VL3 4 Hp 64"-92" VL1 95"-156" VL2 127"-218" VL3
- *If not otherwise specified, all models are supplied with standard model check valve (40 psi relief /35 psi reset for MLD, TS-LS300, and TS-LS500).
- **If not otherwise specified, 2 Hp variable speed pump motor horsepower rating is implied for IST models.
Variable Speed Submersible Turbine Pumps
Variable speed, variable length.
Model Description Model Length Range Number Model Length Range* STPMVS2-VL1 2 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL1 59"-87" STPMVS2-VL2 2 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL2 90"-151" STPMVS2-VL3 2 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL3 122"-213" STPMVS4-VL1 4 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL1 64"-92" STPMVS4-VL2 4 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL2 95"-156" STPMVS4-VL3 4 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL3 127"-218"
Variable Speed Intelligent Submersible Turbine Pumps
Variable speed, variable length, and AG compatible.
Model Description Model Length Range Number Model Length Range* ISTM-1 2 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL1 59"-87" ISTM-2 2 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL2 90"-151" ISTM-3 2 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL3 122"-213" ISTMVS4-VL1 4 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL1 64"-92" ISTMVS4-VL2 4 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL2 95"-156" ISTMVS4-VL3 4 hp variable speed with MagShell™ VL3 127"-218"
- 1. Remove "M" from model number for non-MagShell™ pump motor assembly.
- 2. All STP models are UL and cUL listed for compatibility with fuel mixtures containing up to 10% ethanol with gasoline, diesel fuels, and 20% MTBE, 20% ETBE or 17% TAME with gasoline.
- 3. All IST models are compatible with fuel mixtures containing diesel fuel with up to 20% biodiesel, 100% biodiesel, up to 85% ethanol with gasoline, and 20% MTBE, 20% ETBE or 17% TAME with gasoline.
- 4. All models are supplied with a standard check valve unless factory option "R" or "W" is specified.
- 5. All above models can only be powered by a MagVFC™. 4 Hp models require three-phase incoming power supply, 2 Hp models can be supplied with single- or three-phase incoming power.
- 6. 4" riser pipe, if supplied locally, must be 4½" OD by 3/16" WT tubing.
- 7. For riser pipe length 31" to 69", additional charge applies.
- *Model length (A) defined as the dimension from turbine manifold bottom to pump motor inlet.
Factory Installed Options
Specified in model number at time of STP order.
Model Description F Floating suction adapter, 1½" NPT female, must be factory installed K IFS (intake filter screen) factory assembled to pump motor assembly R Model R check valve, factory installed, for Veeder-Root™ PLLD Line Leak W Model W check valve, factory installed, for Red Jacket PPM4000 Line Leak
Field Installed Options
Intelligent submersible turbine pump specific accessories.
Model Description 5874202800 MagVFC™, 2 Hp or 4 Hp variable frequency controller, one required per STPM VS2 or VS4 400137908 Syphon check valve, alcohol-gasoline compatible (when ordered with STPM VS2 or VS4) 402459931 Model 65 psi check valve (for slave of manifolded STPM VS2 or VS4 with Veeder-Root™ PLLD) 402507930 Secondary syphon kit (when two syphon primes are required for one STPM VS2 or VS4) 5800300100 STP-DHI dispenser hook isolation for 110 volt dispenser handle switches, up to eight each
Variable Speed Conversion Kits
With variable speed conversion kits you can achieve higher, consistent flow rates, in turn boosting your profits, while eliminating the wear and tear hydraulic hammer can cause. Installation is easy with a variable speed pump motor assembly, MagVFC™ variable frequency controller and four-wire contractor’s plug. All-in-one variable speed kits are compatible with both FE Petro™ brand 4" submersible turbine pumps, as well as other competitive systems. The MagVFC™ works with the existing system to increase flow as more fueling points go live, delivering the flow you need as you need it. Your customers will know the difference between sites that provide steady flow and faster fueling during peak business hours and those sites that don’t.
Model Description 402671901 Kit with 4 Hp variable speed non-MagShell™ (PMA VS4) 400693901 Kit with 2 Hp variable speed non-MagShell™ (PMA VS2) 400693905 Kit with AG compatible 2 Hp variable speed non-MagShell™ (PMAAGVS2) 400693906 Kit with AG compatible 2 Hp variable speed with MagShell™ (PMAAGMVS2) 402671905 Kit with AG compatible 4 Hp variable speed non-MagShell™ (PMAAGVS4) 402671906 Kit with AG compatible 4 Hp variable speed with MagShell™ (PMAAGMVS4)
- Note: Kits include variable speed pump motor assembly, MagVFC™ variable frequency controller, four-wire contractor’s plug and installation instructions.
Variable Speed Downloads
- Pump Selection Guide (60Hz)
- Pump Motor Assembly - Replacement Instructions
- STP / IST Fixed & Variable Length Installation and Owner’s Manual
- STP / IST Fixed & Variable Length Installation and Owner’s Manual – Turkish
- STP / IST Fixed & Variable Length Installation and Owner’s Manual - Spanish
- STP / IST Fixed and Variable Length Installation and Owner's Manual - Italian
- MagVFC Variable Frequency Controller Installation and Owner's Manual
- Instructions: STP Check Valve Replacement
- TB: Customer Instructions for Return of Product
- Typical Manifold System - Single Product Line Delivery
- Typical Manifold System - for Syphon System Testing
- TB: Understanding STP Serial Numbers
- TB: Check Valve Replacement Summary and Checklist
- TB: Electrical and Mechanical Motor Data
- Shared Learning: Wiring STP Capacitor